Laguna De Los Tres - highlight of our El Chalten journey!

This was by far the most challenging hike of my life and I personally felt a huge sense of accomplishment when the day was over.

The hike itself is rated as hard on alltrails.com - the first 2 kilometers are mostly uphill, and then the trail levels out for the next 8 km over different plains.  The final 1.5km is a steep uphill scramble that takes the average person about an hour to complete.  We were there on a relatively nice, clear day in January which is peak season so no surprise that this final ascent was very heavily trafficked.  Many parts of the scramble was single file due to the narrow paths and I would guess the climb itself is at a 60-75 degree angle. 

Unfortunately, I twerked my knee after the final ascent and I was dreading the 10+ kilometer descent/trek back to El Chalten.  If it weren't for this,  I would have enjoyed the entire experience and while I did love it, I was honestly a little worried about injuring myself more on the way back which weighed me down during the return.  Thankfully, I made it back okay and though it was a wee bit stressful (the return part) and my legs felt like lead for the next two days, it was SO worth it.

Now having completed the trail, here are my lessons learned -
1) I would have definitely have taken a taxi to El Pilar to bypass the first 2KM of uphill trekking.  I would enjoy those 2KM on the downhill descent on the way back, taking in the views, and using the final sprint to decompress my legs.
2)  There are two outhouses along the way - the first was at the basecamp that is past the middle point and the second outhouse is right before the final ascent to the top.  Pack tissue and hand sanitizer....and learn to hold your breath for a super long time (eek).
3) Take my time at the final ascent.  I pressed so hard to keep a steady pace that I ended up ignoring my body's need for more stops.  I twerked my knee and reminded myself that part of the fun is the journey - no need to rush!
4) Pack plenty of water and snacks.
5) Layer.  I thought I over packed, but learned that I really did need my gloves, scarf,  hat, and windproof jacket.  It is super windy and cold at the peak and though I arrived sweaty with all my layers removed, I quickly got cold as my heart rate calmed and my body got used to the high force winds.