Neungna Bapsang - North Korean Cuisine (Seoul)

I read about this place on a few blogs and wanted to check it out.  We didn't realize it was so close to us, only a few minutes walk from our apartment.

This is truly a mom and pop restaurant.  We climbed the stairs to the second floor and was greeted by an efficient waitress who told us to sit anywhere we wanted.  There were three other tables which I was surprised at.  It was only 530 and Koreans normally eat later so it was nice to not be the only ones there.

We looked through the menu and though it had pictures (thankfully), there were also long descriptions of each dish we wish we could understand.  At the pace we read, it would have been 830 before we were finished reading everything so we decided to just point and order.

I ordered bibim gooksu, but was the gentleman who works there told me it wasn't that good and I should order the mulnaengmyun.  I thought this was pretty funny, but if the person who works there doesn't endorse a product, I surely wasn't going to push back and order it.

I was glad he made the recommendation.  Though I will probably never know what their bibiim gooksu tastes like, I would certainly reorder the mool naengmyun.  It was simple and clean.  Hubby enjoyed his oxtail soup and we both loved the pretty pancakes we ordered.  It tasted like a bindaedduck, but had the consistency of a pancake.  I normally can only eat a little bindaedduck because I find it too heavy, but this one was really nice. Something I would highly recommend and try again the next time I am there.