Happy 5 Year Anniversary! (Big Island, Hawaii - Day One)

We landed on the Big Island 5 years to the day we were married.  Boarded Hawaiian Airlines from JFK at roughly 10 AM.  Five years earlier, I was watching my sisters get their hair and makeup done around the same time.  It surprises me that we've been married for 5 years, though I think I'm more shocked that hubby and I are 5 years older.  I liked being closer to 30 than to 40, but I feel very fortunate that life has only gotten better with time.

The one thing however that has gotten worse with age is my fear of flying.  Even the smallest sensation of turbulence quickens my heartbeat and the anticipation is almost worse than the experience.  This time around, determined to mitigate my fears, I stayed up a full 26 hours before my flight.  I was feeling pretty good when I boarded the plane and when I buckled in, I allowed myself to nod off.  I fell into a deep sleep and woke up feeling very refreshed...only to find ourselves still on the runway. Overall, my fatigue allowed me to sleep more soundly once we were at a cruising altitude and I would guess I slept for 2 and then a 4 hour rest periods.  I do think it helped me feel a little less anxious and it was a good strategy for the outbound flight, especially since there is always plenty to occupy myself with at home - between cleaning, book keeping, work...filling in the night hours were not a problem at all.

Anyway, once we touched down at our final destination - Kona, we headed straight to National to pick up our car rental.  Famished, we asked the lovely young lady if there were any good places to eat nearby and she directed us to Pinetree Cafe - a place where she and her co-workers normally grab a bit and was within a 5 minutes drive.  Famished, we decided to give it a try rather than embark on the 30 minute drive to our resort.

Once you leave the car rental area (one way exit), you turn right and about 10 minutes to your left, you will find Pinetree Cafe in a small outdoor mall.  By the way, we thought this was the best car rental experience.  It was probably the aloha spirit, 83 degree temperature and/or the fact there was no 'hard sell' to upgrade, get insurance or buy a navigation system.  We were in and out in less than 10 minutes.  Nice job National!


PINE TREE A good old fashioned plate lunch cafe - similar to a L&L though I believe they have many more fish options.  I had the fish & chips - catch of the day was ahi.


After we recharged, we drove roughly to HGV Club at Waikola Beach Resort, unpacked and then headed back out to get some basic supplies for the week.   Essentials like water, beer, wine, snacks and yogurt.  An exhausting, but productive first day!



Smooth check-in for our 2 bedroom rental in Waikola Village