Red Rooster, NYC - Year of Kat

I think I am too old to make new friends so it is a good thing I have a great set of friends already. Today, I met my dear friend Kat for lunch at Red Rooster in Harlem for our first meal of 2012 together. The last time I was there, I got to meet Chef Samuelson (Season One Top Chef Masters champion) which I thought was really cool. No sighting today, but that's okay. I was there to catch up with Kat over a good meal. She always meets me downtown after work and since we both had the day off, I decided to shorten her commute for a change and head up to her hood.

I've known Kat now for probably close to 10 years? We met at a bar through a mutual friend and instantly clicked. It's funny how it is so easy to make friends when you are younger, but I could not do that now. I don't know if it is because I am totally happy with my circle or because I just have no interest in starting new relationships. It's probably somewhere in between there so I guess it is a good thing the friends I have today are awesome.

Kat and I have many things in common... we share a love of travel, a passion for reading, enjoy exploring museums and unfortunately, also have jobs that stress us out(!). For at least the last 2 or 3 years, we have been promising ourselves (and each other) that we would start taking better care of ourselves. I told her about this blog as part of my journal therapy which honestly, has been a lot of fun. I like journaling about happy memories so that when I am 90, I will only remember the highlights. :) I hope she finds a similar release.



Swedish meatballs with cranberries, pickled cucumbers, and potato side in a dill sauce. It was good, but room temperature. I should have asked if this was intentional, but it was so crowded I didn't want to bother.

Kat liked her catfish. I didn't try it...I mentally can't get over the whole bottom feeder thing.


The dessert was delicious. It was an apple tart with bit of brown sugar crumbles and I think grapes.