Home cooking - the last supper (of 2011)

My good friend (and sometimes therapist - DG) told me I need to find a way to deal with my stressful job. Since quitting is not an option (other than in my fantasies), I decided to start gambling (mega millions baby) and blogging. Frankly, I don't know how long blogging will last since I have a penchant for starting and quitting hobbies every few months. This year, I bought a calligraphy pen set (yes a lovely 3 pen set) determined to master the art so I could label invitations for JC's wedding next year. After I realized a steady hand and patience was needed, I lost interest before the ink fully dried. After 2 episodes of Extreme Couponing, I was hooked. I enlisted the help of family and collected volumes of coupons. After spending a few days cutting, researching deals online and saving a whopping $6 on my first trip out, I decided to call it quits. Most recently, I took a knitting class and my poor, forlorn two foot long merino gray scarf lays unfinished with a thin film of dust on it. I really regret that one since I got Husband a coat, hat and gloves for Christmas...the scarf would have really been a nice touch.

I could go on, but it is New Year's Eve and it seems appropriate to set new goals for 2012.

So for now, the only goal I am going to set for myself is to Blog. About what? That part I haven't really figured out yet! I guess it will be about my favorite topics - food, travel and whatever hobbies I decide to pick up. This was a sudden inspiration on my part so hopefully this one lasts!

Anyway, as I reflect on 2011 I realize I am a very lucky girl. This year, I can say that I gained appreciation for the little things I sometimes lose sight of. My parents for one are the most awesome people in my eyes and I hope to spend more time with them in 2012. Our family got closer this year and I believe we are stronger than ever. Spring was exhausting as I acclimated to my new role. We had a few scares over the summer and it was a long, tiring season. Thankfully, dad-in-law is healthy and fully recovered. Brother's tumor was benign and we were blessed with having one of the best surgeons take care of him. In the fall, my husband and I got to travel to SE Asia, a place I never would have dreamed possible of traveling to when I was younger. We also got to attend two beautiful wedding ceremonies (PH to DK & JL to BL) and this winter, our friends had three baby boys in the month of December (congrats JVP & JL). I have a great husband, family, and friends. I guess in my own way, I have already won the lottery and I wanted to end the year with my best friend, my honey.

Tonight, we feast on his favorite meal and toast to our blessings.

26 oz porterhouse Steak for him, 6 oz filet Mignon for the lady


Wedge Salad (recipe: wedge, thinly sliced shallots, baby tomatoes, Trader Joe Greek dressing & bleu cheese crumble)
Creamed Spinach 

Edits: Reduced all ingredients by half and heavy cream by 75%. Added 2 tbspns parmesan cheese and result was a nice spinach side. Not really a 'creamed' spinach, but definitely healthier. (part of my 2012 resolution to eat less cr*p)
Dessert - chocolate cake w/ raspberries (courtesy of the master baker - SL & Haagen Daz ice cream - thanks GP) Cake recipe found here -http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/creamed-spinach-recipe2/index.html

Happy New Year to all my dear family and friends. I hope 2012 is a year of prosperity and good health for us all!