Colicchio & Sons - New York, NY

Hubby hasn't had to travel for three consecutive weeks and it has been SO nice to have him home.  Last year, we were ships passing through the night.  I was on the road non-stop for the first 9 months of 2011 and he was a road warrior in Q4.  Weekends meant catching up on chores and sleep which made the weekends precious and very short.  This year, my T&E budget got desecrated and I probably shouldn't be excited, but I can't help it.  It means less travel and  more time at home with hubby. Yippee! 

Yesterday, we both took advantage that we were in the city and treated ourselves to an early day.  We both (self consciously) skipped out at 5PM (on the dot!) and met for dinner at the Colicchio & Sons Tap Room.  We've tried Craft and Craft Bar, but this was our first time at Colicchio & Sons and I was excited.  Though I am no longer an avid watcher of Top Chef, I am still a fan of the show.  I like Tom Colicchio and think he is usually fair with his critiques.  He just seems down to earth and I think if he knew me, he would want to be my friend too.

Anyhoo - dinner was in one word - yummy.  Oh so yummy.   Good service, nice ambiance, great food, reasonable prices and good bread.  Not to sound cheesy, but I always feel like the free bread/butter they give you sets the tone for what to expect.   Sort of like how an invitation 'supposedly' sets the tone to a wedding (according to Martha Stewart at least).  Bread was nice and warm, butter room temperature which made it perfect consistency for spreading and the company of my hubs to make it a perfect date.

My only pet peeve is how they serve the beer.  The beer on the right is Hubby's after two few sips.  The beer on the left is my beer...untouched.  I recommend that they either a) serve it in a smaller glass b) fill it to the top (my preference) or c) charge less than $9 for what looks like 5 ounces of beer.  I know it is a petty gripe and we laughed about it, but it's the small things that make a difference.

My starter...yum.  Very rich.  I don't want to think about how much heavy cream was used.
  
Fish starter and it was good.  I think the portion looks bgger in the picture.

My burger was AWESOME.  Just meat, bread, onions, pecorino cheese and an awesome balsamic tomato spread.  SO SO good. 
 
He had the crispy veal breast which he really liked.  When he was done, only mushrooms were left on the plate.


Meyer Lemon steamed pudding w/ pistachio fennel biscotti & cocoa nib granta


I like sour, but it didn't do it for me. 
I didn't care for it, but I am not really a sweets person to begin with.  I thought I would try this since I
like tart over sweet, but it didn't do it for me.


    Milk chocolate praline custart, hazelnut brittle & passion fruit sherbet


Hubby really liked.  I thought it was 'eh'.  Too much salty, sweet, and sour action.
It confused my unsophisticated dessert palette.