Cambodia - Siem Reap (Photo Entry)

We spent three days in Siem Reap and honestly, it was a hard three days.  I was so focused on going to Siem Reap and researching Ankor Wat that I didn't really think about how the rest of our time would be spent there.  While Ankor Wat was amazing and unlike anything I've seen to this day, I couldn't shake the heaviness I felt during our time in Cambodia.  

Cambodia was once a very advanced country until communism reigned (in the form of Khmer Rouge) in 1975.   Over a million people were murdered during their occupation with the most educated being targeted for extinction.  From then, the country suffered major setbacks and is still on the long road to recovery. 

On a safety note,  I learned that there are still a lot of untapped landmines in the fields and thus our hotel warned us to only travel on well marked paths.  

Honestly, I am embarrassed to admit that I was overwhelmed by the amount of poverty surrounding us and that was seen everywhere...toddlers without clothes, families bathing in street water, and a surprising number of adults missing limbs.  I didn't want to feel sorry for the people, that would be incredibly insulting of course, but I just had a heavy feeling in my heart because I wanted to do something to help.  We did find and attend a local fundraiser on our last night there and I've since starting sponsoring a beautiful girl from Phnom Penh through World Vision.  I know these are small steps, but I hope that a lot of people chip in with these these small steps so that as a collective, we can support Cambodia's recovery.

On a lighter note, the people we encountered were beautiful souls and I wish all the people of Cambodia prosperity and health.  Walking through Ankor Wat was surreal and a memory I will never forget.